Precautions after Heart Bypass Surgery - Know Do’s & Don’ts after Bypass Surgery
We all have heard the word “Heart Bypass Surgery” many times. It is also known as Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG) Surgery. The main goal of Heart Bypass surgery is to improve blood flow to heart. In this surgery, a heart surgeon uses blood vessels which are taken from another area of body to bypass the damaged arteries.
The Heart Bypass Surgery is done when coronary arteries become blocked or damaged. Coronary arteries supply oxygenated blood to heart. If these arteries are blocked then it affects the flow of blood, so heart does not get required amount of blood. The heart doesn’t work properly because of the insufficient blood supply. This condition can lead to heart attack and ultimately heart failure.
Prevention is always better than cure. Bypass surgery is a major operation in a patient’s life. It takes around 4-6 weeks for complete recovery. After the bypass surgery, every patient should take some precautions to get faster and smoother recovery. Preventive measures reduce problems caused by the risk factors and prevent recurrence of the heart attacks.
Do’s after Bypass Surgery:
- First of all, patient should strictly follow doctor’s advice. First few days after the surgery are most crucial for timely recovery.
- Do the Spirometry and breathing exercises for 4 to 6 weeks as per the doctor’s guidance to prevent lung infections.
- Achieve and maintain a healthy body weight.
- Eat heart-healthy diet.
- Walking is a good exercise for the lungs and heart after surgery. Take a slow walk as per doctor’s advice.
- Keep incision areas protected from the moisture to avoid infection
- As per doctor’s suggestion, clean surgical cut or wound every day with soap, water and gently dry it.
- Follow the guidelines of doctor or cardiac rehabilitation specialist.
- Manage stress well. Share your feelings with others. Engage in your favorite hobbies.
- Positive attitude is extremely important factor to overcome any severe health challenges. Talk to people who inspire you.
Don’ts after Bypass Surgery:
Don’ts after Bypass Surgery:
- Don’t stand in one place longer than 15 minutes.
- Don’t push or pull or lift heavy things.
- Don’t exercise outside when the climate is too cold or too hot.
- Don’t swim; soak in a hot tub until incision is completely healed.
- Don’t smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol.
- Don’t eat unhealthy, salty and high cholesterol foods to avoid digestive problems.
- Don’t do strenuous activities as they can put more pressure on the heart.
- Don’t skip medications that are prescribed by doctor.
- Never take medications without doctor’s prescription.
- Don’t drive vehicles for few days.
- Don’t travel for longer duration.
- Don’t walk fast or run.
- Don’t do stressful activities like listening loud music, shouting, argumentation etc.
- Don’t pay attention to thing which can disturb you.
Coronary Artery Bypass surgery is very beneficial for the patients with cardiovascular disease. However, there is a risk of formation new plaques in the arteries. Hence it is necessary that the patients should strictly follow prescribed diet and other habits along with regular health check-ups. These precautions will definitely prevent the formation of plaques in future and help to live a healthy life.